Perlesandco 468x60

Monday, August 15, 2011

Necklace: Thorn

I spent about the last 3-4 days working on a necklace with an opera length since I've been wanting to do one for a while, using beadweaving. I made one before, but using wire and chain, so I thought I would get a little bit of variation making this one.

I used simple spiral stitch to make it, which I haven't used for quite some time, since I made a bracelet. To be honest the spiral stitch isn't really one of my favorite stitches to work with. Why? Cause you always have to keep the thread tight as you work your way through it, specially if you're like me and using nymo. I know that FireLine should keep it a bit more tense.

I actually made this spiral a bit more different then the ordinary tho. Instead of threading on the core beads at the same time as the outer beads I decided to string them on at the start, to also get the desired length as I wanted, and then I worked out the spiral.
I used 11/0 and 15/0 seed beads, and I also added some size 11/0 Thoho triangle beads to give it, should I say, A LOT of contrast?! Actually I like it that way, and it looks really nice in gunmetal, and the surface of the beads are so shiny it reflects the light in all directions.

The fun thing I find about the opera length of necklaces is that you can wrap it around your wrist and change it into a bracelet. The one I made be wrapped five times around the wrist, and it looks really cool only on there :)

1 comment:

Malia said...

Depending on the effect you want to achieve, sometimes spiral stitch may be quite enjoyable. I found your site through DA. You can find me at pixipatrin.deviantart.com. I have some examples in the "beads" section of my gallery. Nice to see a fellow DA+blogspotter.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...