Perlesandco 468x60

Friday, October 25, 2013

Necklace: Innocence & Nicole's Bead Backing

A few months ago I purchased one of the fabulous cabochon packs from "Wir War Kralen". The main reason really to why I purchased from them (haven't ordered from them before) is cause I saw that they have "Nicole's Beadbacking". Lots of ppl from the US. have been saying how great it is and how much more affordable it is compared to Lacy's Stiff Stuff, which is the beading foundation I use in my pieces.
At their site you could choose to either order an A5 or and A4 size format, which is great since the A4 is a lot bigger then the biggest piece they sell of lacy's.  Nicole's Beadbacking also comes in a variety of colors, which of course is the plus point; no more dying or permanent marker drawing.
Now... Comparing the prices, I did not find it to be more affordable then Lacy's. In fact including the extra costs I have to pay for shipping it over from Holland (I order my Lacy's from France) makes it really not worth it. Or maybe the store is just overpricing it? I have no idea. I would compare it with other suppliers of it if I could find another one in the EU who sells it. But so far, I have only found one.

So going over to the necklace I made with the Nicole's Beadbacking...

First off, the design concept for this one pretty much came over time, after playing around with the different materials that were included in the cabochon pack. I knew I wanted to make another necklace, so I first drew out a 14cm in diameter circle on a paper and calculated the center of the circle. Then I began to play around with the cabochons I had, placing them on various places and I also ended up adding some materials that I already had in my stash for some time that really fit with the rest.

For the first time I felt that I wanted to make a bead soup and use it as a primary material in the bead embroidery. Now, if you've seen any of my previous pieces you can pretty much see that a lot of them are color blocked in some basic way (basic in my opinion lol). I wanted to jump out of that comfort zone again and give myself a little bit of a challenge. I'm a bit of a perfectionist in the way my head works, so just starting to mix all the different seed bead colors in a bunch really scares me. What is worse is when I began to pick up the beads is that my brain is telling me pick up that color then that color after etc. when what I should really be thinking is "nothing" and just pick up the beads in random order.
Well, I followed those guidelines I put out for myself, noticing that I was actually struggling with it as I was working. Still I think I did a pretty good job, so I'll give myself a little pat on the back, heh.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Necklace: Lady of Time & Glass Eyes

I realize I haven' t been blogging very often lately; I have to admit that I haven't really been in the mood. I've also been doodling off on a few larger pieces which I don't really find worth blogging about as it's nothing major.

A few weeks ago I got my hands on that face silicone mold from Sculpey and I ended up playing around with them and made a couple of faces from it. One of the bigger one, I ended up embellishing with some more clay and cogs, to end up with a bit of a steampunk style.

I really felt, after I had finished it that I wanted to make a necklace of it, but I was stuck on what kind of necklace I wanted to make. So after picking out some matching materials and laying them out on a circle template I played around with the placement of the materials along with the face until I saw exactly what I wanted.

I'm absolutely in love with the Khaki iris (#2035) beads by Miyuki since I decided to stack up on that color in different sizes and shapes. I thought the color was a perfect complimentary color, not only for the polymer clay face but also for the other main materials I had chosen to work with.

Something that has, or is still going around are those gorgeous eye cabochons - I just LOVE them myself and I've purchased a couple of them from some sellers on Etsy.
I've been wanting to try to make my own, but I haven't really had the required mats until now. I found a few sellers on Ebay whom are selling those clear glass cabochons for a very nice price/bulk so I decided to get myself some of those.
And now I've also got my photo printer working, and got my hands on some Canon photo paper so I decided to play around in Photoshop to make my own. Printed them out and glued them. I actually though that the ink on the paper would get smeared out from the glue, but it doesn't. I think it might have to do with the photo paper, not sure. Anyway, it was a success and thought I would share a photo of them.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...