Perlesandco 468x60

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Necklace: Solveig

My deadline on this project got a bit messed up as I managed to first end up with a stiff neck - as in stiff as not being able to move it, myeh. Not only that, but on Friday I also managed to get a damn cramp that caused me to throw up and spend the entire day in bed.

Although, I'm happy that I actually managed to complete this piece before the 11th, as it is a birthday gift to my grandma, whom I haven't seen now for almost 3 years.
So I wanted to make her something special this year, as I wasn't able to the other two years due to the facts that I was heavily occupied with studies at that time.

I decided to name this piece after whom it is dedicated to, my grandma, who's name is Solveig. It's a nordic name for those who never probably heard about it. It is a very common name in northern Sweden, Norway and Iceland and the name means power.

The shape of the pendant is pretty much free-form. I sketched out ad doodled a bit on something until I was completely satisfied with it. My goal was not only to make something completely different but I also wanted to make the shape really feminine at the same time.

I wanted to put most focus on the pendant itself, instead of making a beaded chain, so I decided to just use a black string from Beadalon, and add some crimps with two matching Czech square beads that "floats".
The pendant is made with bead embroidery. The main beads I used where one 14mm Swarovski bicone, 3 Swarovski flowers, Czech glass beads, some handmade polymer clay beads, Matsuno and Miyuki seed beads in sizes 11/0 and 15/0 and 11/0 Czech seed beads.
For the bail of the pendant I decided to make something simple that wouldn't take away the focus of the main thing, a.k.a the pendant, so I decided just to string up three lines of seed beads and create a loop of them, paired up next to each other.

2 comments:

Shirley said...

Stunning piece! I'm sure she will love it!

H.T. said...

Hi,Anna:-)
The necklace is very beautiful.I like the colors and the free way of stitching.Very interesting form and texture.
Warm Greetings-Halinka-

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...